Sir Thomas KIRKPATRICK, ,2nd Baronet of Closeburn,and of Alisland

Male 1667 - 1720  (52 years)

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All

  • Name Thomas KIRKPATRICK 
    Prefix Sir 
    Suffix ,2nd Baronet of Closeburn,and of Alisland 
    Born 12 Dec 1667 
    Gender Male 
    Died 1720 
    Person ID I6901  Kirkpatrick Family
    Last Modified 7 Sep 2018 

    Father Sir Thomas KIRKPATRICK, ,1st Baronet of Closeburn,   b. Abt 1631,   d. 1702  (Age ~ 71 years) 
    Mother Isabel SANDILANDS,   b. 14 Jun 1631, Calder House, Midlothian, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Bef 1672  (Age 40 years) 
    Married 24 Apr 1666  Calder, Midlothian, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • Ref:Image of marriage record.
    Family ID F2156  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family 1 Eleanor( Helen) STEWART,   d. 1699 
    Married 18 Feb 1691 
    Last Modified 5 Apr 2013 
    Family ID F2173  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family 2 Isabel LOCKHART,   d. 1711 
    Married 2 Feb 1701 
     1. Sir Thomas KIRKPATRICK, ,3rd Baronet of Closeburn,   b. 1704,   d. 17 Aug 1771, The Keep of Closeburn Castle Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 67 years)
     2. James KIRKPATRICK, ,of Calcutta, India,   b. Abt 1705,   d. Calcutta, India Find all individuals with events at this location
     3. Professor. William KIRKPATRICK, ,of Alisland & Shaws,1st Sheriff of Dumfrieshire,   b. 1705,   d. 17 Oct 1777, Shaws, Dumfrieshire, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 72 years)
     4. Ann KIRKPATRICK,   b. 1707,   d. Yes, date unknown
     5. Robert KIRKPATRICK,   b. 1711,   d. Yes, date unknown
    Last Modified 5 Apr 2013 
    Family ID F2174  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
    • Succeeded his father in 1702,and also inherited the estates of Ellisland after his youngest brother Roger of Ellisland died without issue.
    • (Research):Ref:Gifford, John The Buildings of Scotland: Dumfries and Galloway, Penguin, 1996

      Hume, John R. Dumfries and Galloway, an Illustrated Architectural Guide, Rutland Press, 2000

      Lindsay, Maurice The Castles of Scotland, Constable & Co. 1986

      In the 17th century the Kirkpatricks moved out of Closeburn to an adjacent, newly built manor house. However, this burned down in 1748, with the castle sustaining some damage. Renovations were made to the castle, and the family moved back in. The Kirkpatrick family finally sold Closeburn in 1783 to a local minister, James Stewart-Menteith. It has since changed hands several times, but is still occupied as a dwelling house.

      The original tower house was built on a promontory in a now drained loch. It was surrounded by a timber palisade, and later, a stone walled barmkin, or defensive courtyard, with round towers at the corners. The tower is approximately 14.5 m by 10.5 m, and rises 15 m to a flush parapet. Inside, a vaulted basement incorporated a prison. A hall above is also vaulted, with a third vault at roof level enclosing three upper storeys. The first-floor entrance to the tower still retains its iron yett, a defensive gate of metal bars.

      The barmkin was presumably demolished to make way for the 17th century manor. When the family returned to the tower in the mid 18th century, the upper chambers were subdivided, and windows were enlarged to improve the standard of accommodation. The crenellations were added to the parapet around this time. Further renovations were carried out in the 19th century; a single storey extension was added to the south west, and a red sandstone porch was added to the north side after 1856. It is possible that the architect David Bryce was responsible for the additions.

Home Page |  What's New |  Most Wanted |  Surnames |  Photos |  Histories |  Documents |  Cemeteries |  Places |  Dates |  Reports |  Sources